Low Necklines – Modesty Part One

8 Comments January 30, 2012 in Food & Fun, Teen Girls and Women

One of the most frustrating things for me and my girls is shopping. The girls especially love to go shopping. We don’t often buy anything though because it is so hard to find clothes that fit our standards of modesty. Especially tops.

Modesty Part One - by Carla Anne Coroy - photo of red dress with low cut

Such a beautiful top… but too low to wear modestly.

Modesty Standard for Tops

Here’s what we use as our modesty standard for tops:

• Tops must have necklines that do not reveal cleavage or dip too low.
  • Tops must not be see-through (or made of such thin fabric they reveal the bra).
  • Tops must not be skin tight.
  • Tops must always (even with arms raised) cover the belly by touching or covering the top of the pants.
  • Tops must not have embellishments or words that draw attention to the breasts.
  • Tops must not have words that don’t glorify God.

And shopping with those standards in mind is not easy!

A Solution for Low Necklines

Today I want to talk specifically about that first point – necklines that are too low. It’s hard to find tops that don’t reveal cleavage, or that don’t hang open, revealing everything, when we bend over.

One of the ways to handle this is to wear a light top underneath. A nice tank top with a high neckline can be the perfect fix for those cute little tops that are so available. But I find that even the tank tops have low necklines!

So I’ve started wearing my tank tops backwards! Just cut out the tag, and slip it on backwards… it’s a great way to be sure you’re modestly covered in the front.

But in my house the girls and I are often too warm to wear two layers of clothing! Who wants to always wear two tops?

Not me!

An Even Better Solution!

I’m excited to tell you that I’ve recently figured out a way to fix this problem. I call them Modest Mocks.

A friend of mine bought little lace triangle pieces that you can snap on to your bra straps. They cover your cleavage and turn low tops into modest outfits. But I couldn’t afford to buy them, I didn’t like the colors, and I didn’t want lace all the time.

So I went shopping… to the Thrift Shop! I bought a couple of great little tank tops. The smaller the better! Don’t buy a top that fits you… make sure it is much too small! I actually prefer buying a child’s tank top and I’m a generous plus sized woman! Find the colors that will co-ordinate with your wardrobe, especially if you have a particular top in mind.

In my next post in this Modesty series I’ll explain step by step how to turn those little tank tops into Modest Mocks! You’ll need sewing supplies (serger or sewing machine if you have it, but needle and thread will do), a bunch of snaps, and some of those Thrift Shop tops – you can go ahead and pick up a few to get ready!

Meanwhile, let us know what you think!

• How do you deal with this issue?
  • Do you have any suggestions for making immodest tops wearable?
  • If you’re a guy, do you find low necklines to be a problem?

8 comments so far Uncovering God’s Hope in Everyday Life

Add your comment here

Post
Carla
Anne
Blog(email, reader) Newsletter

You may also like these

1. Amber Reimer says:

oh man I’m so excited to see this I’m definitely gonna make some it it’s not to hard :) I have allot of trouble with how much work modesty takes! I find it especially hard to deal with tops, one of my biggest pet peeves is when i buy a shirt that seems modest but as soon as I wash it and wear it a couple of times it stretches out and its to revealing again!

2. karissa says:

I often buy guys T-shirts. They are a lot cheaper and really comfortable. Plus they have high neck lines! :D

3. Ahria says:

I have had tops that I thought would be fine when I tried them on at the store, but once I actually was wearing them realized I would need to do something to make it modest. Plain annoying. Especially when I bought the top specifically because I thought I wouldn’t have to wear anything underneath it. But I like Karissa, also like T-shirts. Though I have girl T-shirts. I am not talking about the ones with the v-necks that are fine as long as people only look at you straight on and you don’t move at all. These ones have the high necks like the guys shirts do and are both comfortable and modest. If I have a top that is too low I will either wear a top underneath or a funky scarf over top.

4. Breanna says:

I usually deal with immodest tops by layering a high tank top underneath (I once found two that are actually both high AND long!! It was a deal!!), but yes, that gets annoying! I don’t think I have any shirts that I can comfortably wear without something underneath (or a scarf or sweater on top). They’re all too low, or too short, or made of too thin material, or show bra straps, or are see through! I am definitely open to wearing guys shirts if I can find them, but as of yet I haven’t had a chance to look for any.
    If these tank-top-triangles work, I am interested! :)

5. Tina says:

For myself and my two daughters, we have four questions that we ask ourselves about the clothing we put on. 1). Is it too short? 2). Is too low? 3). Is it too tight? and 4). Is it appropriate for the occasion? I am 45 years old even though I want to be fashionable I should never want to dress like my 19 year old daughter. I read where a mother should never shop in the same store as her teenage daughter. I am amazed at what parents allow their daughters to wear to church. I just don’t get what they are thinking by allowing their daughters to dress in short skirts, strapless dresses and high, high heels to come to church!

6. Pingback: Modest Mocks - Modesty Part Two - Carla Anne Coroy

7. Pingback: Should Christians Wear Bikinis? - Carla Anne Coroy

8. Sara Schenkel says:

I and my daughter have been ordering tank tops from diviinemodestee.com Their tanks keep their shape, are long and the neckline is high enough and snug enough to not show clevege. I wear one everyday under anything I wear. They wash well too and come in all kinds of colours.

Add your comment here